Thursday 10 October 2013

What's New?


Say the word ‘news’ seven times and it will start to sound a bit like the word ‘snooze’. Coincidence? I think not. 

The news has become anything but that, all the stories I see are just a perpetual regurgitations of old ones. Of course this isn't the news’ fault it’s ours for not doing better things to get on the news. I can quite happily go without any news at all in my life and just assume that there’s a war going on somewhere, a celebrity is doing something or died, the financial crisis is ever present and paedophiles are still fucking kids. It’s not harsh to say, it’s just the news. The rest is just details, and that’s where things become strange.

People that watch the news might tell you that they watch it because they like to know what’s going on in the world, why? Because it’s interesting right? Well the way I see it is the news is really no different to reality TV. It’s just as voyeuristic and equally as pointless. Maybe there was a point in time when the news inspired people to do something positive to change the bad news to good news but nowadays it’s pretty much just another form of entertainment, entertainment for perverted, violent and most of all fucking nosey humans just like you and me. Of course the news lies and exaggerates things but we’re the crowd that cheers it on, more mass shootings! More terrorists! More Kate and Wills baby, for Christ sake tell me what the little shits blanket is made out of before I jump off the top of this multi story!

Having lived through debatably the greatest televised news story of all time 9/11, I'm not sure much could shock/excite me now. Tragic as those events were I'm sure it is for 99% of us our most memorable episode. It’s hardly surprising that a lot of people loose their apathy when the lines between entertainment and reality are so transparent. It’s possible that people reading this might feel like I'm a bit of an arse hole for putting across this view or that I'm insensitive because I don’t see a soldiers death any different to a drug addict dying of an overdose but to those people I’d say this. You are the worst. Apathy never did shit for anyone; the queen laying a wreath on cold stone does nothing to honour a man or woman that will not see another day because of a higher agenda, Whether you watch it in HD or not. The truth is people don’t think they just do, and as long as that continues so will all the finger pointing and judgement that keeps us in this never ending cycle of insanity.


Now turn off the news and go help an old lady cross the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment